Saturday, July 25, 2009

Summer Living and the Gym

My Bella Fitness slogan is "Your body is your life" but the fact of the matter is, it's only kind of true. When I say, "Your body is your life," I mean that without your body, you don't actually exist. You need to take good care of your body, eat healthy foods, and exercise to live. But life is more than just that.

This summer has been a challenge for me. For starters, my son chose not to go to camp this year (with the exception of an upcoming, weeklong Vacation Bible School), so getting in any form of exercise is tough. When I can, I go to the boulevard in my town and take a nice walk. If more time allows, I go to the gym for some quality time in the weight room, and on the nights I am really full of time (2+ hours), I get to do some body sculpting and cardio (my favorite machine, currently, is the AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer)). 

I've given up on getting to an actual, scheduled class. My hopes for attending a 9:30 a.m. Bar Method or 6:15 p.m. spin class are dashed. Instead, I catch-as-catch-can.

I continue to eat well, working towards a more solid nutrition plan than the one I had allowed myself to lapse into. My boyfriend and I have committed to eating better, and doing this with him makes me more focused and keeps it fresh. I feel more in control when I'm eating better, so the scattered exercise schedule doesn't seem so bad. And really, it's not permanent. Just a quarter off.

The whole point of being healthy is to enjoy life. I've been shucking exercise for good reasons, my son, and my boyfriend and his kids. Having my son home all-day for just three months out of the year (and soon, I imagine, I will be bumped for his friends or, dare I predict, a girl) is really something to treasure. And eating dinner with my boyfriend and his kids instead of getting in a cardio session is well-worth it. I am building memories and enjoying moments with the people I feel most lucky to know.

When September arrives, and I get back to my exercise schedule, I will welcome it. I will be so very grateful for the relaxing summer that I chose to experience unscheduled, without a hint of guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment